Thread: Hanna gun show
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2016, 02:34 PM

Default eh

I guess the behavior problems run from lack of interest in retrieving, to gun shyness and even stubborn to the point of intentional disobedience. Stubborn would be the polite word for some of them. Most labs are biddable in that they are eager to learn and please and respond well to praise as well as can take a correction and bounce back.
I have had pointers that I considered stubborn but that was because early on they believed they knew better than I about what and where the birds were that we were hunting. Some of the chocolates I have seen have gone way beyond that as in intentional refusing to pick up a bird, enter water or return with a bird. One was so hard mouthed you had to race to get the bird before he plucked and ate it.
Most can be fixed with patience, force and repetition but it is often more time consuming and harder on both dog and handler than the average new owner wants to take on. Sorry for the derail we should have just started a dog training/behavior thread instead of taking the gunshow right off the map.