View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
You have seen several very acceptable recommendations from lots of good hunters. Im not a fan of anything under a 7mm mag but I personally would not use a 7mm-08. Same thing goes with a 30 cal. I would use a 308,30-06, 300wm etc but not a 30-30 or a 300 savage. Everyone has there preferences, some people use a 243, 6mm, 6.5, 25-06 (which I have and love but not for elk). My personal minimum would be a 260 and i think thats a low side stretch for me. So its not about caliber, more cartridge. Example being the most extreme 7mm-08 to a 7mm mag or a 30-30 to a 300wm. I dont recall you mentioning what cartridges you currently use which would help. Ft lbs of energy are relevant to the distance so thats a tough one too because each type of bullet reacts differently at different speeds and distances at different ft lbs. if you hunt elk at suffield then longer shots are often required, more so then if you hunt in the bush where a hundred yard shot may be your max. The 7mm mag or 300wm in suffield would be fantastic with a good scope. Now in the bush at a hundred yards a iron sight 45-70 will hit em hard and fast. There's no one answer to your question without a ton of more information on how you want to hunt, a good all around set up in a 30 cal. To me it makes no sence to use a 308 when you can use a 30-06, just stand them up beside each other and you will see. A 30-06 with a straight power 6 scope will do anything you need out past 300 yards. Great selection on bullets as well. If you hunt where your more apt to send one out there a ways then the 300 wm or the 7mm mag may be your choice with the 300 giving you heavier bullet options than the 7mm mag. If you have a cartridge already then let us know so we can maybe offer a nice match to what you already have. If this is your first then what do you want next cuz it makes no sence to buy a multipurpose 30-06 if you then want a 300wm, too much overlap. A good selection for all you can hunt would be, for me,22lr, a 22-250, 25-06, a 7mm mag, 300 wm a 45-70 and a 30-30 just cuz we all need a lever 30-30. That group will handle everything in every situation anywhere.
I currently have a 270. I'm confident in its ability to do the job but I also am thinking long term for a large bear hunt which has been on the bucket list for a while. Basically I can research and read until my head spins but I would like to settle on something different than the 270 that can handle elk with ease. If it will work for a future big bear hunt then good, if not I would upgrade to a real boomer, possibly 375 or in that area. Then again, my buddy has a marlin lever 45-70 that shoots like a dream so that could be another option, just thinking it will be a little lacking for any longer shots.