View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
If you lived in Ft. McMurray I could show you the ropes, but I don't get south too much .....
Cat
I've not bird hunted for over .. thinking about it I was in my mid-teens so it's been a very long time, I've been around guns my entire life, mostly shotgun and target rifle but being an ex- New Yorker I didn't get much practice outside of summers and vacations and later range invitations by clients or acquaintances. Now most think my being a NYer (ex) means wildlife for me is a trip to the Village on a Gay Pride Saturday night but not true. My family is from North and South Carolina, farmers, (and now Alberta) and I spent every Summer and Xmas on the "farm". Was a Boy Scout until I was a late teen (made it to Life). I've hiked and camped my entire life.

The last 5 years or so I've been wanting to get back into serious backpacking but life stepped in, had our miracle occur my daughter Winter was born, and then my father in-law got sick and passed. During some long talks with him he told me about going duck hunting with his friends and his various dogs, (he had a pointer that used to drink beer holding the bottle tipped up between his paws and chugging) how he gave up hunting when he gave a fella permission to duck hunt at the bottom of his property (Lloyd lake) and he went out with his two young sons and drowned, after that he kind of lost the "flavor" to do it, that and how much my Mother In-law hated plucking the ducks and geese. A few months after my Father In-laws funeral, me and the wife were going through the house and my Wife found his old duck jacket. It had a duck call in a pocket and a couple of shells, it really hit me then looking at that old jacket how much I would have liked to have sat in a blind with him, watching his old pointer drink beer.

Bird season has begun and this year I've actually got my PAL, an inherited Auto 5. (thank you Mr. Jake) & Wildlife Cert. so no more procrastination, I'm planning to go out. And so, this is my long way of asking for some help. I'm planning to try for some upland birds since I don't have a dog yet, walk some grouse, maybe some partridge. I'd appreciate meeting, learning, gaining experience from any and all who would like to offer.

Regards