View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 12:52 PM
sheephunter

Good post longdraw and I think it raises the question...what really is the problem. Are too many rams being killed and the population is declining to undersireable levels, are there not enough big rams to satisfy hunters or are unsuccessful hunters just looking for an edge to kill a ram. In this thread I've seen all three identified. I think the problem needs to be identified before we can find a solution...if there really is a problem

Through the grapevine I've heard that F&W thinks too many rams are being harvested and that populations are getting too low. They are considering a five-year wait period because......"It would have the least impact on
recreational opportunity and still provide a reasonable opportunity to harvest a ram."

It seems a strange tact to me as a management strategy. They must figure that only a handful of sheep hunters are actually capable of killing rams. When populations of other species get low, they put them on limited entry draw, not keep the successful hunters out of the field.