View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 01:28 PM
Banned

This is going to be a great thread! If you are in the area and want to take a drive to Morinville I'd be glad to have you in my small skinning shed. Fleshing can be a little tricky because there's no way to explain how much force is required, it's kind of something that you just have to do a few to get a handle on it. There are also a few tricks to sewing holes.....I do quite a bit on shot dogs.

- You are going to need a fleshing beam. I have the plans for a homemade one posted on the forum somewhere if you do a search.

- Pick up a few lengths of 1" x 4" x 8' boards and trace a pattern from someone's drying boards so you can make your own......very easy.

- Buy a cheap $7 paring knife and a steel to sharpen it with. Perfect for skinning coyotes. The knife that you have will work good for trimming bullet holes.

- You're going to need some Glovers needles for sewing the holes....not sure of the right size though. I think that I see a package of artificial sinew that you are going to use as thread......turf it. It's too wide to go through the eye of the needle. Buy some non-waxed dental floss to use as thread.

One hour to skin a first coyote is good.....you did it right. Concentrate on quality and over time you'll get faster at it. Haste makes waste. Partly frozen coyotes are much harder to skin than fresh, warm ones.

If the front legs are a little short, tuck them in and pin them in place when you are drying it. It won't be a problem.

You are off to a great start! If you can find someone in your area that's trapping coyotes it's be beneficial to see if they'd show you the ropes. It's not rocket science but there are a lot of tips that make your life easier. Good luck!