View Single Post
Old 07-26-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Good Idea for a range puller. The little comercial pullers are handy in the possible bag, for pulling your balls in the woods,but they are also hard on Ram Rods, and can pull the end off the rod if it is not pined in place and glued.
I had that exact thing happen to me with my Lyman Trade rifle. After my very first shoot ever with it and first time shooting a Muzzleloader, I set about cleaning my rifle. I got my wire cleaner attached to my ramrod (I did not have another rod then), I got my ramrod buried in the the barrel and was giving it a good brush, when I went to pull out of the barrel the ramrod came out, but the brass end and brush stayed buried in the bottom of the barrel. It took me days to get it out. eventually I took a 3 foot aluminum air blow gun, cut the bent end off, and put it down the hole (it was a perfect fit for my 50 cal). I then tapped it down over the wire brush with a rubber mallet, and then pulled everything out. By that time I had a bad taste in my mouth for the hole muzzle loading thing, but I persevered, I "Glued and pinned" the brass end back on my ramrod and now use it only for seating bullets, bought myself a better rod for cleaning, and keep on shooting. Morale of the story, if the end of your ramrod is not "pinned and glued" make sure to have it done. I simply glued mine back on, drilled a small hole through, then glued a roll pin in place, and ground it down smooth.