View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 07:30 PM

A flinter is realy the same, just a diferent source of sparks. I love the Flinters.
The Flintlock got a bad name and it shouldn't have. Most problems are caused from a poor choice the shooter was talked into. Cut Agate flints are junk, and not known for reliable good sparks. Use knaped flints and that is 1 problem less to deal with.
The next source of problems on a flinter is powder. Flint locks hate Pyrodex. 777 and all the other new powders. They do like Real BLACK POWDER, and are very reliable with it.
3F will work in the pan quite well, but 4F works better and is quicker to flash.
Don't over fill the pan, a small caharge in the pan fires faster.
Keep the vent hole cleared , and make it a habit of picking it after each shot. A welding tip cleaner on a lace tied to the trigger guard is a good tool to have at hand.
Having the flint positioned corectly in the jaws makes for a good spark. Pad it with leather to keep the flints lasting longer. I get up to 70 shots from a flint before needing to sharpen it. Set the flint to barely clear the frizzen at half cock.

I will add some more after supper.