View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
I suspect there are 2 (or more) ‘theys’.

AFAIK, the 1st ‘theys’ are civilian civil servants in Miramichi, who receive the paper forms and process them by optical scanning into a file, it seems there is no place in the file format to scan a separately attached range membership as that is not required for a plain RPAL (no restricted owned). The ‘processed’ electronic file is forwarded to the provincial CFO office, and the paper renewal form and any attached paperwork (such as a copy of a range membership) is then shredded.

The 2nd ‘theys’ are sworn RCMP firearms officers in the CFO office, who receive the electronic file and check against restricted registrations to determine if any restricteds are owned or will be transported. The CFOs (who feel (and in unfortunate fact may be) authorized to regulate as they see fit), have interpreted that the Firearms Act requires a range membership to own a restricted for a purpose other than an ‘approved and registered’ collection.

I have found the best way to manage this process is to copy a page of the standard form to include a copy of a range membership card in some blank space so that it will be included in the scanned file by Miramichi, and forwarded to the CFO. There is no requirement to submit the original range membership card.

Even after all this processing and checking of paperwork, the CFO will not issue a renewed LTATT unless it is specifically requested in an area adjacent to the copy of the range membership, (and probably not even then). Do not expect to receive it automatically or in a separate letter, I suggest a specific request to Email the renewed LTATT with hard copy to follow. Keep a copy of all completed applications and forms for your records and to document your submitted application.

‘They’ are not happy till we are not happy.
LTATT is now a special condition of the RPAL, they are now attached and they arrive together at the same time

LC