View Single Post
Old 11-05-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I’d rather be outdoors View Post
There’s soo many factors at play here, again, to have fishermen take the blame is disingenuous.

What about invasive species competition, ex carp? Did they study that? What about the impact of the 2013 floods?

The issue is that they’ll shut it down and never re-open/ or re-open on a extremely limited basis (again, history repeating itself). It’s a matter of time before the NSR, or SSR is next.

Why not stock and see what happens over 5 years? I’m not supportive of a full shutdown (for any river or waterbody in ab) unless every stone is turned and examined in detail with a timeline/plan & criteria to rerun to “normal”.

The timing of this “discussion” seemed a bit too convenient in my view. Once it’s shut down, kiss it goodbye. Not coming back in the same form. Every shutdown needs to come with a “path to recovery” strategy for it to be a transparent process.
I agree a really deep dive into the total river eco system is needed to determine what is "Normal". Whitefish stocks have also been declining and those have much less angling pressure. Post floods bow is a different water body compared to prior. Not just the floods but mitigation, New bridges, development.