View Single Post
Old 11-01-2021, 11:11 AM

Good points....I am going to play devils advocate on some just for discussions sake

2.Never thought of that. I get license online, download regs, then get a couple paper regs at ct that I give way as needed. Like you say I am not the one you need to worry about. I have run into multiple people on the river who legit admitted to breaking bait and retention rules because they didn't know. I know that is not an excuse. They thanked me and believe they will follow rules now. Having general public informed would help as well, there are thousands of eyes and phones on the paths and might discourage rule breakers.

3. Agreed this might not make much difference. The Bow in the city is a unique situation with many casual angler fishing close to home that would never fish otherwise. Single and barbless might not make much of a difference on mortality with us seasoned anglers but might be huge to those that have never or rarely handled or released a fish. Although I am opposed to such a move fly fish only rules would eliminate most of these casual anglers. Less people fishing, less fish being caught, less mortality.

4. This one is tricky. What has greater economic impact 1) General public that buy license and gear 2)Guides who buy license, pay income tax on income from fishing, mantain/buy boats gear 3)combined with 2) destination fishers that come to only fish the bow. Hotels, meals, guides, gear, travel

1) Probably has the greater overall impact 2and3) Has much greater impact if you look at money spent per fish caught or hour fished

Never thought of the guides before. Do they need a special license? Maybe they need to be limited. I fish bow very often but limited to shore fishing. I rarely get skunked but usually get only 1 trout from a few hours on the bow. I have only hit 5 trout in a day a handful of times. With the sheer amount of water the guildes cover in boats they catch more fish in one day then I do in a month or more.

If you watched the video it is interesting they make the point they can only take actions that 1) Limit the fish being caught 2)limit the people fishing (pressure)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
A few thoughts/comments;
1) I'm not sure why AE wants everyone to REGISTER for every survey, webinar, etc that they put on....and as such, I will not be doing it

2) With regard to not "knowing the regs"...And I know there is no excuse for an angler not taking the time to read the regs...but...the AE online licensing system has supported that because folks are no longer handed a hard copy of the regs at time of purchase. Many don't take the time to download...or read....those that do, are generally not the anglers we need to worry about...

3) Yes, there IS mortality with catch and release, with barbless and with flyfishing only...to think otherwise is foolish. The mortality rate is however much lower than with other angling methods

4)If a resource is under significant pressure..ie if in a fishery, the angling pressure/fish caught is unsustainable...the first thing that needs to be eliminated or restricted is any activity that "profits" off of that resource.
I know this comment will make the blood of all the guides boil...but, when an individual or corporation undertakes an activity for profit that pays no compensation to "use" that resource and furthermore when that resource becomes depleted at the expense of the recreational user...something has to give...
Not knocking guides here...I have been one and know many personally.
Guides and recreational fishers have cohabited in relative harmony on the Bow for decades but, now the fishery, due to various reasons/factors, has changed.

Bowflyman has stated he will voluntarily reduce his angling effort on the Bow by 50% next year...do you think many guides will be doing the same?

In saying that, there are numerous other options available that may be used in conjunction with the above...total closure, river use/stamp fees, rod day allocations, time closures, angling/method restrictions, etc

I commend you for your conviction.