View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 01:44 PM

Gussy is one of the nicest guys on the planet. It's an unreal story.... after he won on this same lake a couple years ago, he was very public about how he did it. Showed the exact lure (Smeltinator jig head with a Z-man jerk shad soft plastic), how he rigged it up, and how he presented it..... and virtually everyone on tour called it a fluke (pardon the pun)...said it couldn't be done again. Then he goes out there this weekend and does the exact same thing....and wins the Super Bowl of fishing. An insane performance.....I was just beside myself watching all weekend. Yesterday, he only managed 2 fish of the 5 fish bag limit, and when he got the 2nd one (they had a camera in his boat, of course...) I freaked right out. He so desperately needed it. He had an ESTIMATED 1.7lb lead as time expired, but nobody knew for sure if he had enough to win it, and sure enough the lead held up. Just an incredible performance.

A bunch of his buddies from Kenora drove down...... Bryan Gustafson (no relation), who's the owner of Lake Of The Woods Sports HQ (arguably the best fishing store in Central Canada), Jamie Bruce (arguably the 2nd best bass stick in the Kenora area and a great YouTube watch, as well), and even Dustin Byfuglien himself.... all went down to party with Gussy last night. I can't imagine how hard they went...ha ha. Would have been WILD.

Couldn't be happier for Jeff and Shelby and the whole family.... so incredibly deserving. The whole thing really feels like when Mike Weir won the Masters...amazing.