View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 09:14 AM

I worked in the insurance biz a few years back for a couple years creating training for brokers. I learned a ton of things I never knew about and I think half the brokers didn't know about either.
A few tips from things I created about insurance just off the top and there are many more.
Things like your postal code effects your rates as things like hail zones come into play for cars and homes. If you move it can change dramatically if you move into a higher risk area. Same with thefts. If you move into a higher theft area that postal code will show as such and your payments may be affected. You can get discounts for certain occupations. If your broker never asks you will never get it. Certain types of universities or places like graduating from SAIT/NAIT can get you extra discounts too. If not asked you will not get. How long claims free of course, family or single person, bundling, how far you drive, age, type of car. Type of roof or siding can get you a discount due to more are hail resistant. If the broker does not ask you will not receive. Age of furnace of hot water tank can save you money too. Newer models can get small discounts, not asking you about these and you will not receive.

Do not bundle your RV or man toys with your home insurance. If you do and make a claim on your toys it can and most likely will effect your home insurance too. Always a separate policy.
Those a re just a few things to start. I could probably think of another paragraph of things. My point being that there are many ways to saver money on your insurance besides some mentioned already but many brokers are too lazy and do not even ask all the questions and us ask customers end up paying more. This is also why 2 people with the same insurance company can pay different amounts. 1 broker goes through with a fine tooth comb and another does not ask all the detailed questions and we lose. Most friends I ask if their broker has asked these things and the answer is mostly no.

Brokerages are also paid by % on commission by the big companies so you know part of the answer. Also beware many of these internet insurance companies are just an extension of the main company. If you think you hate Intact for example but are in love with Belair Direct I am sorry but they are the same outfit. Many are like this and most are not aware.

Bottom line is buyer beware and make sure you are getting all the questions asked so you can get all the discounts you are entitled too and know what your policy includes and not includes. You then can do an honest apples to apples comparison.
Good luck with yours and sorry for the long post but I could probably write a book on all the crazy stuff I learned in my few years creating materials for insurance brokers and things around the office that I saw many brokers not doing for their clients like us.