View Single Post
Old 03-24-2023, 12:59 PM

Was with Wawanessa (Co-operators) for over 30 years. They covered everything I had and I had no beef with them. I let my insurance run out on a motorcycle for a few years and the last time they insured it, it was about $130/year.

Couple of years go by and I decide to restore and make active said motorcycle. I phone them up to get a quote and was told "that's a restricted motorcycle and we'll have to push this to a regional office not the local office you called" WAIT - what???? Co-op had never insured as a restricted vehicle before? (that's always something good to hear - NOT!) And no, it's not a "black" motorcycle that's somewhere on a restricted list...

After waiting 2 weeks, I get the call from Co-op and the insurance quote was for PL/PD at an astonishing rate of $1300/year???? WTH? I explained to the agent that this would jeopardize me continuing with them, to which I was told "everyone in the insurance industry in cracking down on motorcycles".

Thinking back on that conversation, I believe that was a last chance ploy to make me buy in at $1300. Luckily, my next door neighbor has a daughter that's a broker. One quick phone call to her, and my motorcycle was insured within 10 minutes at $220/year. I was so impressed with the speed and low-price and coverage, I pulled everything from Co-op and moved to my new insurer - the whole works.

Last phone call with Co-op, was asked why I would be leaving for another provider. I explained the situation and said over 30 years of customer relations were ruined in a 30-second bid to get 10X the money on a product.

Turns out in the end, not only did I save $$$ on that motorcycle but the entire insurance package put together has saved me over $2500 / year by switching and it continues to drop without any claims. Not sure what's going to happen when I do have a claim, but I'll cross that bridge later.

J.