View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
There have been changes in our society and they have taken away the time available to young people. It used to be the young hunted with the old, more experienced hunters, now many of the old are gone. Hunting is very hard to learn on your own.
I grew up doing some hunting, and my dad hunts, but I didn't get back into it until I was 24 or so, and then went about it mostly on my own.

I would say that by far the biggest obstacle is just finding somewhere to go. I'm from the country, but have lived in the city for about 10 years now. Knocking on doors cold is not pleasant, and it doesn't get any easier if you aren't a local. I've had fairly good luck around edmonton with permission for birds, haven't tried to get on private for anything bigger than that. Had no luck around calgary the one year I lived there, even just for coyotes.

ACA land has been a huge help, and I've got 2 other first time hunters their first deer on those little quarters in the past few years.

If I had a million dollars to spend on hunter recruitment, opening up land to hunting access would be my first priority. A bushy quarter that is foot access only can soak up a lot of hunters before it feels too crowded.