View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnM View Post
When I did use a bear carry it was a banger then three rounds of 00-buck and one slug.

A big noise will stop 99% of charges and making noise while hiking will prevent 99%.

Unless you're out hunting give them some warning you're coming and you'll never see them. And no sense in pumping a slug into a bear without giving him a chance to reconsider.

I have spent untold days in the back country and I've never had a need to kill a bear. (except when hunting of course) I've backed away from a few and used a banger once but that was it.

Don't go in looking to kill a bear unless it's a last resort.
ShawnM, I would re-evaluate this if I were you.

If you see a bear and he is far enough away to warrant a bear banger....you will have time to finger load one or dig out that pen type banger and use it. Or yell at him and see what his next move is gonna be. If it is close up surprise you will not want that banger as your first option.

Keep in mind that the OP is going to be in grizz country......and Central Barrenground Grizzly to boot. These are the most dangerous of all the grizz as they are predominantly meat eaters and not berry bears. He believes that he is number 1 on the food chain and you are not bigger than him. I agree that 99% of the time a loud noise will effectively end the threat....it's the 1% that can turn chitty in a hurry.

Also, any lethal shot that you take will very likely be head on and very close. If you are going to miss with a slug....you will also miss with buckshot. A lethal shot is a last ditch effort........if you miss it, you're screwed anyway......so don't. IMO you would be better off to hit him with a big chunk of lead rather than a bunch of little ones.....but that is just an opinion.

tm