View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM

Default Starting off on the right foot

I started loading in the 70’s I bought a PO Ackley’s book at a church rummage sale, read up on how it was done “I can do that! cheap shooting for my .270”. At that time I never knew anybody that loaded, there was no internet so I was on my own. I bought a LEE loader kit from SIR mail order 1LB of 4831 and some primers. I’m all set, I followed the instructions “hammered” together 20 rounds went to the range. All my shots were a foot low at 100 yards; a fellow at the range told me using a Lee loader scoop with 4831 isn’t very accurate I really should be using a scale. I bought a scale; this is really when the problems started. If anyone has ever read the PO Ackley manual the max loads in the book are extreme max loads like 62 grains of 4831 for a .270 Win. 130 gr. Bullets, Ackley must have had a 24” long drop funnel! I was 16 at the time faster is always better I hammered together a “near” max load went to range I pulled the trigger I saw smoke, fire felt a warm rush, the bolt wouldn’t open I really didn’t know what happened. Again one of the other people at the range helped me by showing me how to open the bolt with a hammer, the primer pocket was now part of the casing looked like it fused together, the case head was cracked and the over pressure was directed into the magazine, I was very lucky I didn’t injure myself or anybody else. After that I met a few bench rest shooters at the club that mentored me through the correct process. I bought all the correct equipment and started loading safely. I would recommend if you start loading to find some help and instruction before you start.