View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The point is sturgeon fishing is closed. It is not a catch and release season like Alberta has at certain waters for other fish species.
There's a difference between closed and C&R. Sturgeon is 100% C&R but you can still actively target them when the body of water is open for fishing.

The same rig-up at the confluence will catch you virtually every species of fish down there, and no I'm not talking about a pickerel rig, although that would work too for virtually all of the species.

Having the right gear and knowing how to handle the fish when caught is key to ensuring the fish will recover. They guys using light tackle and letting them flop all around the boat or in the mud are causing untold harm.

I fully do not support your idea to close the recreational sturgeon fishery. I could potentially support something else like mandating a cradle net for a boat if it was done properly. But to outright close it, no thanks. We're under enough pressure as a group that we don't need to self-restrict ourselves.