View Single Post
Old 05-13-2020, 01:01 PM

Sorry for the delay been in and out of reception and a lot has gone on this trip!

Started with getting some new action of the bait site so to target that bear we headed up Saturday night after putting the kids to sleep.

Got up to camp and set up by midnight. Slept till 4 and headed into the tree stands under the cover of dark. Always fun in bear country going into a bait in the dark haha

My buddy was on the trigger first because it’s his FIRST bear hunt his FIRST archery hunt and his FIRST tree stand hunt!! Excited to say the least!

7:30am the target bear rolls into the bait checks it out and then rolls out leaving my buddy frustrated that he didn’t take the shot when he stood there for a few moments but we both thought the beat was going to get comfortable and eat.

Feeling down and tons of regret not sure if we would get another chance on him. The best rolls back in at 9:30 this time committing to the bait and starts snacking. Feeling a bit rushed this time my buddy laid the snack down on the bear at a slight quartering to shot but placement looked great. That bear immediately wizzes and runs off crashing around in the bush.

I filmed the whole thing and we played the shot back in slow mo many times analyzing the shot. By all accounts it looked lethal. We went in to find blood and found a good trail so we backed out for 2 hrs to give the bear so time.

After two hours we begin the search. Following a good blood trail for about 80 yards then the blood went dry. Completely dry!! On our hands and knees turning over leaves, looking and low for blood absolutely nothing!!

So we reverted to grid searching. This was no easy task as our bait is right on the ridge of a creek valley that goes down 300 feet to the river in a hurry.

After 5 hours of up down side to side we could not find him any way. We went back to the last know. Looks numerous times trying to pick it up. We looked up in trees. Walked the river banks NOTHING! All we could figure is it made it back to its den or in a hole and we just can’t find it or the shot wasn’t lethal and that bear is miles away.

Feeling defeated and remorse we headed back to camp to re group. Not really how u want your first archery hunt to go and it’s my buddies first time never retrieving an animal it took a lot to pick up our spirits and head out for the evening hunt.

We decided to head into a hot spot I know of for spot and stalk. We got into the area around 6:30pm and headed to what I call the tri fecta of cut lines, it’s a great spot where u can see three awesome cuts from one spot. As we drive down the road to get into position to glass you can see up the south facing cut first and once we put eyes on that cut there was a big black dot up on the top end of the cut!! BEAR!!

So we wheeled back up top where the cut starts and got out of the truck. The cut has some rolling hills that u need to crest to see down it. As we started the stalk we get to the first roll peek over nothing. Work our way to the next roll peek over and there he is! Beautiful big old warrior sitting there grazing away. No clue we were inside 50 yards of him.

My buddy get his gun ready and we inch closer. Then we pop up to get full view of the bear and the bear is looking the opposite direction. My buddy hammers him with one shot and he drops where he stood!!! Big bore down!!

What a crazy day of highs and lows! Still feeling crappy about not being able to find that bear but this made things a little sweeter!!

1 of 4 tags filled. Heading back up on Saturday with my son in tow so the adventure continues! Stay tuned!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk