View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 01:50 AM

Hi and thanks for replying, folks, I really appreciate your help!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Depending on your budget,,,, If you want to spend less than $200, I would suggest a kit. TFO makes a good starter kit as anyone.
Yes, I'd like to get within that $200 budget, an later on when I find out what exactly I need I will move to upgrading my kit with something better than what's in there. At least that's what I think of it as of yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
This won't apply to all, but be wary of the line supplied with rod / reel / line combos, often the line is pretty crappy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Most lines that come with package deals are crap. So invest in a decent line.
Oh I see, so it may make sense to get a kit and a better line then... Or the kit won't be worth it if the line will be bought separately?.... will have to look into that and see the prices.
Quote:
What are you planning on fishing for?
I plan on trout fishing. Thanks for the recommendation, I will be looking for a descent 5 or 6 wt rod then to add to the kit.
Quote:
As for flies you can get some flies at a local shop. Most shops will give you some good advice, as well on where to try or what to use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
All the fly shops in the Calgary area are super helpful and knowledgeable.
I haven't thought of it, as I usually shop for different things online. But I believe the rod and the flies I will be getting from a physical shop, not online. As for the kit, I guess I will still get it online based on your folks recommendations and on the research I conducted this weekend.
Before I read your comments folks, I was thinking that one of these 2 kits will do that:
Wright & McGill fly fishing kit around $120
Redington Path II fly fishing kit approx $200 on amazon
However now I understand, that I have to check out the brands that you folks have noted as none of the 2 I was thinking of is in the list that I made from the comments and recommendations I've got from you.