View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 03:50 PM

To add to this thread -
I use 3 inch 12 ga. plastic hulls, Federal and Winchester, cut down to 2 1/2 inch and roll crimped for Black Powder shells. These hulls are plentifull and free if you know any waterfowl hunters. I only load them once and discard them after firing. I use a hand roll crimper because I find I can get a better (prettier) crimp than with a drill press crimper.
I use Circle Fly card wads and cushion wads supplied by Becky of Hillfolk Muskets, Senlac, SK.
The one difference between Cat and I is in using lubed wads. I mostly don't.
For shooting trap with Black Powder we lube on top of the overshot wad just before shooting. Using 10 round cartridge blocks with the base down we put a dab of lube doled out with my pocket knife (Crisco is as good as any) on top of the shell.
For hunting loads using lubed cushion wads I use plastic shell boxes where I can put the shells in top down. I would hate to have lube to migrate on a hot day into my powder charge.
Lube is really important because 10 rounds of BP trap will form a layer of fouling which is set up stronger than concrete without it.
Windshield washer fluid is a quick, easy and cheap first cleaning solution. After the first few swabs with WW fluid I use WD40 as a rust preventative in the bore.
Anyone who says that you are at any disadvantage using BP shotshells in trap just hasn't been around very much.