View Single Post
Old 06-17-2013, 06:03 PM

Default loading at the range boo-boo

OK, this is a mistake I made at the range, just recently! This is the only rifle loading mistake I can re-call in my 55 year shooting history!
A few weeks back I was doing my newspaper test, testing various bullets for expansion, penetration and weight retention. I have 2 rifles that look quite similar, one a .270 and the other a 7mm REM. MAG! Yes, you guessed it! I put the .270 cartridge in the 7mm and it fired! Mistake one was having two similar rifles along on the same range trip. Mistake two was not wearing my safety glasses which I did have with me at least! That day I was also in too much of a hurry to complete my newspaper test.
Long story short, I had debris from the ruptured case come back into my face and right eye! Next day it was pretty light sensitive! My wife made me go to the optometrist. That was a good thing. The optometrist removed some debris from the outside surface of my eye. Eye drops etc. for a week. I consider myself very fortunate to have not lost my vision, which is still incredible, even pushing 62 years old. .270 and 7mm won't be on the same trip ever again. I have been to the range since and fired some good groups, so I'm happy about that.
The rifle that fired the .270 cartridge suffered an injury also. The extractor needed to be replaced, and that was 165 bucks. I haven't been out to test it since it was repaired. Yes, I did recover the bullet fired in the wrong gun. Very interesting result!