View Single Post
Old 07-25-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
CPAWS & AWA fear-mongering.
I have no idea why you would say that. You're in a fly-fishing sub on an outdoors site and you think what Alberta needs is less parks and campgrounds and fewer places to fish? Have you been outside lately? K-country is completely overrun with people this summer, campgrounds are completely booked, plus all the free campers on Crown land. We need more areas not less. All this action would do is concentrate more people into less space. And for what?

If they do this (closing and delisting) it will save you about $0.25 on your taxes or less. These areas lose park status and all protections associated as such. Then permits for mining, logging, etc, can be granted down the road. So you end up with situations like the proposed coal mining operations on Alberta's premier cutthroat stream (North Ram river). Even if they get leased for grazing, it makes access more difficult and results in higher pressure on nearby parks and recreation spaces.

This was a huge mistake by Jason Nixon (and the UCP) and I have no idea what even prompted this idea. Who looks around our province and thinks "yeah, we need less parks and less places to fish?!?"

Lastly, all of what I saying ignores all the other activities that people use our parks for. Just because my thing is fishing doesn't mean I have to be selfish and not care about other people who are into kayaking, canoeing, bird-watching, hiking. mountain biking, scrambling, etc.

It's bizarre and depressing that some people allow their political affiliation to overrun common sense and support things that are against their own self-interest. I promise to send you $0.25 per year (hell, I'll give you one dollar per annum if you want) to leave our parks alone. Just send me your address and I'll get your quarter sent out asap.

Last edited by Dielbo; 07-25-2020 at 11:21 AM.