Thread: Staying warm
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2020, 12:18 PM

Lots of good advice. I've spent much of my life working outside in all types of weather, proper fitting clothes worn in layers are key but one thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is the importance of staying dry. Wet gear is cold gear. This doesn't mean avoiding rain but having proper outer gear and not sweating. This gets overlooked way too often and is why layers are your freind. As soon as you start getting warm take layers off, even if it means packing extra stuff under your arm.
Bring extra layers too, that way once you start to cool down you've got a plan. Take layers off as soon as you get warm and put them back on as soon as you start to cool- not when you're cold. Always have at least one extra pair of good socks in your bag and change them when feet are cool, before they're cold and damp. Extra gloves matter too, you can even keep them in inside pockets so they're warm when you put them on.
Another good thing if you plan to sit is bring a insulated pad to sit on, it makes a huge difference. Same goes for getting feet out of the snow if sitting.

If you get into the habit of doing something about being cold before you're too cold life will be much easier.