View Single Post
Old 03-16-2016, 11:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Keg I also am near the 70 mark and still enjoy trapping more than pockets in my shorts! To bad I cant post pictures I happen to have a set of Frank Conibears original traps , The one,s he got made in Edmonton when he was up at his lake in the Territories and also the ones Eric Collier used in the B.C Interior .
Also have some correspondence from Frank to Victor Woodstream Corp giving them heck for passing the trap as acceptable before it had sufficient proof ! From the get go to the last few years these forerunners of the trap were nothing but squeeze machines , very inadequate .Quite a story ! Don,t know what I will do with them when my time comes, donate to a museum or what , Because they are a turning point in trapping history and methods . Donating to a museum is likely going to end up in the back room gathering dust because this is looked upon as being so politically incorrect!
You are3 dead right on antis ! Pitiful group , Hearts mean well but NOT A CLUE!!
We all have an impact on our wildlife in one manner or another .
Everything survives at something or someone,s misfortune!
Oh WOW! That is so cool.

I hope you donate it to a museum so many people can see and enjoy them for generations to come.

I have some paperwork for Dad's trapping years, trap line registrations, quota documents, and a few photos, most I have posted here.

I did have an old Hawley Norton #2 trap from the 1930s but it has dissapeared.
I did have a #1 1/2 jump trap and a #3 toothed, cast jaw underspring trap, both of which I gave to my neighbors wife, she loves old trapping gear and I figured she would appreciate them and show them to a lot more people then I ever would.

Right now I have only one antique left and it's not really trapping gear.
It's a set of ice claws that strap over boots. They are from some time before 1960 but that's all I know.

I have a few other old things but none that would interest a collector.
A couple of gas lanterns from the 1960s, a Ross rifle, that sort of thing, and not much of that even.

Oh. I almost forgot, although it's not worth much and not trapping gear I do have one collectible. a model airplane. The balsa and tissue type.
It's still in the original box and I have the original receipt.

It was sold to a bush pilot in Keg River in 1956. It shipped from New York city and the listed price was $1.15 as I recall.
The buyer was Mike Paperny a well known and well liked local bush pilot who died in 2003, I got the kit from his son when the son was cleaning up his dad's estate.
He also gave me all of his dad's ammunition which included two cartons of Whiz Bang .22 shorts. They are kind of old to I think, but not collectors items.

George Bernard Shaw