View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I thought the bottom hardness and mosaic was done on the computer with autochart pro, I never realized that the Onix units themselves were capable of all that.

The new helix's have bottom hardness and weeds added now but still not SI mosaic to my knowledge. A bit surprised by that since they must be capable of adding it as well if they already had it on the old Onix units.
You they are, and you are correct - they did add these features on the ONIX series only through a software update, however, that was years before it came out on the Helix units I think. (even before the first Helix unit was ever on the market actually).

I guess that's why you "pay the price premium" ( ONIX versus Helix) for the slighter higher end units. A lot of guys who spent the $4500 on an ONIX only to have Humminbird introduce the exact same features in a model half the price (Helix) would have been pretty ticked off.

So, what you get for your "premium unit price" is more features, more updates, 18months to 24 months sooner. Autochart Live is an example of that.

That's precisely why it isn't advertised boldly. Owners of the higher end units are just told (through email) that there are "new features or functions available" on the next update and here's the link.

They basically say the software fixes "these bugs" but also adds new testing technology like "these functions or features".

Is it worth the extra money? I don't know. I do know many people just can't resist the temptation to get he latest and greatest technology and are willing to pay for it.

Clever marketing .... and a way not to tick off the guys who spend more money to get the "latest and greatest" only to see the same technology appear on a cheaper unit a few months later.

Last edited by EZM; 03-08-2017 at 10:18 AM.