View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Buy a Tikka 30-06 and spend the money on a better scope. You can’t hit what you can’t see.
I have to agree with this. I also think you should hang onto the 30-30 as a bush gun.

Personally, I shoot a .308 and have a really nice Swarovski Z5 3,5-18X44 (ballistic turret) scope on top of it. I favor a .308 for two reasons, one, I find they seem to have less kick than a 30-06. Two, the shorter brass means a shorter throw and faster reload. I use 165 grain bullets and hunt everything with those shells.

I bought a Remington 700, put a Kwik Klip conversion kit into it to get rid of the stupid trap door setup and now have removable magazines. I put in a Timney trigger and spent my main money on the optics. My longest shot was a whitetail at 500 yards and I scored a really nice cow elk at 450 yards. I shoot a lot to keep my skill level up and my average shot is over 200 yards. I rarely shoot anything under 200.

Any magnum is expensive to feed. If you can afford it, fine. But if you're like most of us and don't reload then you might find it wiser to stick to the more popular cartridges......308, 30-06, .270

All have been proven in the field and the variety and availability of ammo makes these your best bang for the buck.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***