View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
I would vote "careful" to buying turn of the century GMs. I have a '02 suburban, had it for 8 years by now, paid 8k with 200k in the clock. First 3-4 years was a dream (albeit a little thirsty one). Then got a work truck and used mine quite sporadically... One day my sister took it camping and HVAC crapped the bed, hadn't worked right since. It has some kind of stuff learning computer to control HVAC, and it's not learning very well. Also, needs new heater cores and a major pita to change, and i heard them are relatively common problem.
This is true I will admit. Had an 05 Yukon where the heater core died in it (at 120,000 km!)--most shops wouldn't touch the job for under $1200. I finally found a shop that specialized in vehicle HVAC repair and it only ran me $700. After watching a how-to video on it, I sure considered that money well spent.

As an aside though, I have had four other mid 2000s GM trucks, with mileage ranging from 170,000-320,000 KM and none had any HVAC issues.