View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
That's the thing.. It's a never ending "training", you don't just learn it, and you're done, specifically if it's skills you don't use every day (like LEO's). For Example, think about drugs and how they change on a daily occuranance, how can someone who isn't brought up to speed on recoqnizing drug use and side effects, effectively take down someone. You know that Meth users can take sometimes upwards of 6-10 trained people to be taken down. Guess who's stealing to support their habits?

Volunteer Fire department is much different (no disrespect intended), but as a VFD you are dealing with property, not (usually) humans. I'm simplifying (once again, no disrespect intended), but VFD really only have to "say get out" and possibly administer first aid.

So you go from Volunteers, to full Tactical gear showing up with an RCMP. I thought the purpose was to help because the LEO's weren't avail?
Training would take place every week, and several weekends throughout the year. To keep up to date, and keep skills sharp. Would also be joint training with local RCMP officers.

As for tactical, and my comment about working with the RCMP. They could be called in as backup when the RCMP know they are going to apprehend a suspect known for violence or running. Right now they have to call in officers who are off duty or wait until day light to make an arrest in many parts of Alberta. They simply don't have enough officers to execute arrest warrants safely a lot of the time. Im not sure, but wouldnt be surprised if a group like the one I'm describing would have prevented the Mayerthorpe incident.

In saying that I would expect every volunteer to be issued body armor and a helmet at the very least. Given the types of situations they'd be going into I'd want them well protected.

For firearms that would need to be thoroughly discussed. I was thinking they would only be issued Non Restricted weapons. Bolt Action, Semi Auto, and Shotguns. Should be more then enough to apprehend a suspect with a team of individuals who know how to use each.