View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Ok question 2:

I'm trying to throw 27.5 grains (the starting load for CFE223). The volume of that much powder should be 1.78 CCs according to my manual, but I need about 2.04 CCs (according to my lee powder measure) to get 27.5 grains. I have zeroed my scale several times and am getting the same result consistently. That much powder in a 223 case fills the case to the neck. I have an acquaintance in town who reloads, and at some point he said he'd bring his digital scale over to verify my load before I start putting it into cases.

can anyone suggest what might be going on? I'm fairly certain I'd be overcharging them, but it's the perfect amount according to my scale
It could be nothing more than your particular brand of case not having enough capacity.
case capacity varies from brand to brand, and especially military brass has less capacitor than many civilian cases.
Is it filling to the base of the neck or right up?
if you hold the case with a finger over the case mouth it and tap it on a hard surface you will also find that the powder will settle .
Cat