View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye guy View Post
So are there not any old-timer's on here who can verify that walleye were ever naturally present in Wabamun before all of this started, like way back in the 60's or early 70's. Before the power plant screwed up the lakes water temp.
I read in an article, that way back when, it was reported that "X" amount of pickerel was reported to have been netted from the lake, and then the author stated that this was probably a miss reporting of pike being caught.
Well I am Alberta born, and have also lived in Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and grew up wrongfully calling walleye pickerel. And they are still commonly called this all over western Canada. But never have I ever herd a western Canadian refer to a Northern Pike as a pickerel. So I'm thinking if they reported pickerel being caught it was likely walleye.

As far as calling a northern pike a pickerel it could be done if that person’s background was dealing with chain pickerel since they’re also a member of the esox family, and are basically a smaller northern pike, but more yellow with a slightly different pattern. At any rate I think most people agree that the walleyes are a problem, and should be reduced/removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk