View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
Last year we tried hard to get on cranes and although we killed a few it wasn't nowhere near that of lucky lake. And I'm about as far east ab as a guy can get.
We do a lot of our crane hunting west of lucky lake in the Cabri/Kyle area. Friends have a large tract of land, and the kids added about 50 crane decs to the Arsenal last season. Some pretty fine hunting.
Wood buffalo area is some of the best crane nesting areas on the continent. Those birds migrate in a south easterly path, and seemingly hang up along the border, crossing generally through the Loyd area and south. I can’t imagine that Sask hunting pressure accounts for that, going with it being an established flight path, which may disperse more broadly after a couple of years of an open season. Regardless, the highest density of cranes I’ve witnessed is through that corridor. Don’t get me wrong, I gave up my Alberta day trips for migratory many years ago, preferring a straight month or more in those same areas, and purchased a small town property to facilitate that. We chase ducks, geese, cranes, chicken all day, everyday. The frustrating part is that we are constantly running into more elk, moose, pronghorn, whites and mules every year. I will be taking up residency in Sask specifically for that reason. Bring on retirement.