View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkr View Post
Thanks for all the info everyone!
I understand the .270 to be a flatter shooting cartridge while the .308 would have some heavier bullets available. Realistically I'm sure I will be perfectly happy hunting with either - as a beginner I won't be taking any particularily long shots at game.

I guess what it comes down to is should I opt for the .308 so I can shoot it more as surplus ammo is available? I simply don't know much about surplus ammo. Will it ALL be corrosive? ...Potentially damaging to a nice rifle? I do want to spend some time with this gun at the range, just don't know if I should buy surplus ammo for practicing my shot

Thanks everyone!
Shooting surplus ammo out of a gun you care about is like putting dirty gas in a car you care about. Both may get the job done but at what cost? Personally I wouldn't shoot it in a hunting/target rifle. In an SKS, SVT, or cheap military rifles sure. The federal blue box ammo is around 20 bucks for both the 270 and 308. Shoot your 22 lots and buy decent ammo for your bolt action. Or if you really want to get into shooting a lot look into reloading. Will give you way better groupings and it saves you a bit of coin once you reload enough.