View Single Post
Old 05-10-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkr View Post
Hi all,
I'm just getting into shooting and deer/elk hunting and looking to buy my first hunting rifle. Will certainly be picking up a .22 for practicing lots at the range.

I'm looking to buy both the .22 and the hunting rifle now so I can spend the next few months practicing my shot before hunting season.
I was set on a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter Package in .270 win (moderate recoil, just hard-hitting enough for elk, flat shooting...). However, someone was trying to convince me to pick up a .308 so I could buy cheap surplus ammo so as to be able to practice a lot with the big rifle.

My question: Buy the .22 and the .270 - practice tons with .22 and some with .270 OR...
...Buy .22 and .308 and practice lots with each.

Thanks all for the advice!!

Cheers
If you ever want to get into long range shooting and reloading get the .308. The Savage is an alright action to build on as theres parts everywhere and .308 is the most common 1k calibre out there. If you just want to go out and hunt, then it doesn't matter, both will get the job done with similar recoil. Here's a nice chart on recoil and the differences between calibres http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm