View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 11:38 AM

Default still loading!

Finally finished using up all of my 28 ga hulls (some 40 boxes total)
so now it's off to the 12 ga stuff.
I have numerous vintage guns, some with hammers, others not, all sxs. These are my favorites for knocking off pigeons around feed lots, and managing other "pest" types. Problem is, most of them are 2 1/2" chambers. Rather than spend the fortune on factory (If you can find the shorties), I like to go totally old school (matches the guns they are used in).
Resize the hulls, cut them to length, reprime and load with low pressure loads using the stash of PB powder courtesy of Catnthehat! The loading process is done with tools all likely old as grandpa including the handheld priming tool, and the table mounted roll crimper to finish them off.
The home-made shot is measured out with a vintage british made dipper, over top of felt wads.
I find some of the easiest to work with hulls, are the discarded trap shooting hulls due to their thin plastic (makes a pretty crimp with the roll crimper). Just have to watch the primer sizing, as some of the primers on these cheaper loads are larger than standard, while others too small to take a 209.
A lot of satisfaction when you see those feathered rats come spiraling down when taken with all hand tooled loads like this