View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 11:59 AM

Standsureoutdoor's advice to nock tune your current batch of arrows is a good one, but I thought I'd just post a few other points of consideration.

Based on your requirements of having to use a near full-length shaft, it will likely be difficult to find a dozen arrows that will all group together. Arrow manufacturers rating straightness in +/- 0.001", 0.003", and 0.006" base that rating only on a 28.0" section of the arrow. That means that even if you buy 0.001" arrows, you might have significant runout on one side of the shaft. If you put the uncut arrow on a spinner, you can often identify which ends are wobbly and chop them off to produce a straighter arrow; unfortunately, with your draw length you won't have much real estate (if any) to do that. Victory VAP shafts come in at an uncut length of 30.5", so that pretty much means you'll be running them full length and won't have any flexibility with cutting off the wobbly ends. Black Eagle supposedly measures the entire length of the shaft (not just a 28.0" section) when grading their arrows, so that may be a consideration for you if you decide to choose based on arrow straightness.

Victory VAPs also use the half-outsert system, which is, in my opinion, probably the most finicky insert system to tune if you intend to use fixed-blade broadheads. With how the insert is mounted, it's easy to introduce runout so it isn't perfectly aligned with the shaft. Add in that you're likely to have extra runout by using a full length shaft and a fixed-blade broadhead might produce significant planing forces.

Spine indexing from Victory is also just an advertising gimmick as well. They utilize the blemish line on the inside of the shaft to mark the spine. While it should work in theory, it often does not correlate with the actual spine of the arrow (as tested on a RAM spine tester).

Spine consistency is another factor to consider. In my opinion, and in my limited testing, Easton is consistently tops for spine consistency. That means they have the tightest tolerances for meeting advertised spine. For example, I've had arrows from other manufacturers rated at a 340 spine actually measure much closer to 400 spine. Easton has been, for me, very good with their consistency and usually within +/- 0.005" of their rating across the dozen.

For the record, I'm not trying to be overly negative towards Victory - I really like their products, but I believe based on your requirements they wouldn't be my first recommendation. You may also consider buying another dozen Easton Powerflights and sorting out so you have a group of arrows that tune together and the remaining can be used for small game, stump-shooting, etc. Easton uncut shafts are 32", so you have a little room to identify which end to cut off. If I had to choose, I would also put the nock on the straighter end of the arrow even if that means having to refletch your arrows to the other side.