View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by standsureoutdoors View Post
Personally no, an FMJ is very heavy gpi and being that the exterior is aluminum they are susceptible to bending after hard impacts, repeated shots into tough foam can also be hard on them.

just my opinion, carbon has way less memory to routine bending from impact.
Hey Kris, thought I'd have some input on this.

I've been shooting FMJ's for years now. 29.5" DL, 72# DW, Hoyt Carbon Element. Starting shooting 340 FMJ, stepped up to 300 FMJ. The 300's shoot and group better than the 340s for sure.

As for the durability; Yes, they will retain a bend if something hard is hit. Can't comment on the repeated shots into tough foam? I use a Rinehart 18-1 and haven't noticed anything like that. But in retrospect, Most of my shooting is into that Rinehart target (not bouncing off of rocks or other hard objects) and the practice sessions is what archers are doing. The aluminum skin on the FMJs allow for much easier extraction of the arrow from the target (almost 2 fingers only in my case) and that easier extraction has saved my shoulders over the years. I really don't care about the condition of the heavy weighted FMJ after it's passed through an animal because it has done its job.

I have another brand of all-carbon arrow and they basically glue themselves into ANY target that I shoot at. Not saying that all carbons are like this or that there isn't ways to alleviate this situation. But the FMJ's help with the pulling of the arrows on the multiple practice sessions that we as archer have.

Do your checks on your arrows after hard hits/close impacts. I usually will tap the arrow on my knuckle and listen for the broken strands of carbon inside.

Just my thoughts....

J.