View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 12:10 PM

I suggest you begin by having fun using what you have, (or can borrow, many shooters have youth suitable 22s, but no kids to shoot them. I would be happier if mine were used more, but have no need to sell them).

The most important early lessons are in general familiarization, attitude, safe handling, muzzle control and PPE, all of which are facilitated using a bench at a club range, as there is a clearly identified firing lane and other shooters provide good (and bad) example.
Rifle fit and weight is less important on the bench, and teaches proper use of bags or back-pack.

Irons teach the importance of total sight picture while focusing on the front sight, which will be helpful transitioning to pistols (which many young (and old) gals seem to really enjoy, and often shoot VERY well).
Irons training will be invaluable if she has any interest in biathlon or similar structured competition.

If your scope is easily removed & reinstalled, (= desirability of P-rails and tip-off mounts,) then making a rear sight with tape will be a great opportunity to teach the geometry of the system, and how to correct and adjust as required. You can install the tape at several locations or to form a ‘peep’ or ‘ghost ring’ sight.

As others suggest, it is most important to make it an enjoyable experience. The hot chocolate is more important than the firearm.

Good Luck, YMMV