View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
You shouldn't be concerned about those selective hunters who have a tag and don't shoot, these are mostly experienced hunters who spend more time in the field than the average hunter and see lots of game and turn down many opportunities to harvest game. It's mostly guys looking to tag out on trophy animals. I guess you could consider myself one of them. I haven't shot anything in 15 years though I could have filled all my deer tags every year if I had wanted, that would have been 45 legal whitetails, I never took a single animal. The few if any deer or animals selective trophy hunters take are mature and have had many years to breed and spread their genes, usually don't have many years left. The argument that taking the trophy bucks out hurts the gene pool is poppycock, that trophy buck spread the same genes when he was a younger small antlered buck breeding does as he did when he was a trophy buck. Contrary to popular belief the largest bucks don't do all the breeding nor have time to breed all the does, they actually only breed a small percentage of does and while they are busy tending one doe there are lots of smaller bucks breeding the other does that are receptive for that 24 hour period that they are open. People who shoot smaller bucks and look down on trophy hunters should realize that forkhorn they shot was a potential trophy buck if given a few more years to live and grow big antlers. Nothing wrong with shooting whatever deer is legal at all, you have my blessings, just don't look down your nose at trophy hunters for being selective when meat hunters prematurely kill more of what would end up being trophy deer than trophy hunters do.
Exactly, a deers genes are the same the day it dies as the day it was born. BUT in order to spread those genes they need to at least make the age of maturity and breed some does

My favorite argument is folks who are sad they don't see any large mature deer but hammer small bucks year after year. The big ones come from little ones, shoot what you want legally but realize your actions have consequences.

LC