View Single Post
Old 05-13-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I've been to SA twice. I've become very good friends with the PH that I've hunted with. He's stayed at my home here with me a couple times when in town for trade shows. I'm pretty lucky that Nube put me in touch with him. Thanks again Phil!

There is way more to hunting in Africa than just killing stuff. It's about hunting, where hunting started! Think about that for a minute. It's about a different culture. It's about kicking back and just being out in nature. It's about just seeing stuff that blows your mind when you kick back around the boma with a sundowner and tell stories about the day. It's about the food. It's about just not being in Alberta.

My first trip we hunted both from the truck and by foot. The first hunt was in the very thick thorn scrub. Some places you couldn't see 20 yards let alone walk it. We would use the height of the truck to try and see into openings in the bush and then figure out the wind and stalk in on a critter. We walked into pans and springs. We sat in ground blinds. We walked out the PH's front door and up the side of a bloody mountain. We followed tracks for 3 hours thru the thickest crap you can imagine. I have the scars to prove it! It was everything I was looking for.

The second trip was a little more open in places, and just as tight in others. The first couple days we were in the trucks looking over tops of the thick stuff again. We made numerous stalks on a herd of Impala. My good friend ended up missing that nice ram. Good old buck fever he thinks. Later that day we spotted Gemsbok up the side of this big hill right under a cliff face. We made the long stalk up thru the crazy elephant grass only to find they'd bugged out. We were close to 3/4 of a mile from the truck and turned to admire the view. Looking back to the truck, we spotted a herd of Blesbok 200 yards from the truck so back we went. My buddy ended up killing a ram only 100 yards from the truck. Day 3 we went on a 6-8km trek. We were gone up the side of this valley and mountain for hours looking for Kudu. It was almost futile at times as the elephant grass was so tall and thick. But, there was sign, so we stuck with it. We ended up getting winded and watched a big herd of Kudu blow out.
All in all we did a bunch of walking. We looked over some incredible vistas from the truck. We shot some animals on foot. We shot some close to the truck. It was everything I was looking for.

I am going again in June of 2018. I am positive that that trip will be everything I am looking for too.
Hope it goes well bud. Chris puts on a good show for sure and makes it affordable.
I think that is why so many like SA, its affordable!
I think every country and place has different experiences and no doubt anyone hunting SA will always have some fun.