View Single Post
Old 05-28-2017, 06:28 PM

My apologies for my bad spelling.

Add on too my earlier post on this thread.

My first harvest was in 1978 ish with nothing more than a old rusty rifle with iron sights,,, bent barrel since I couldn't hit anything if I tried. Dull knife, and running shoes. My rain coat was garbage bags. Ha. I managed to borrow some binoculars that were held together with black electrical tape as the one lens would focuse in,,, the other lens was pooched. LOL.

Years later I ran into a fellow that Elk bugle me in. He scared the crap out of me since he was part of the forest,,, I knew then that it was time too up my game plan.

The next harvest season I had a new Midland 30/06 with a 4 power Wever scope, hunting boots, new binoculars, game calls, and about $1200 less in my bank account. That was alot of money and the timing couldn't of been worse as the Federal Energy Policy came along in 1980/81... The lights were turned off in Alberta and it was dam tuff too find a job... At least I didn't own too much new stuff back then.

Any-who,,, I was lucky as I kept what I had, then 4 years later I went on the buying band-wagon.
Lots of rifles, high end optics, enough camo gear too share with everyone in town.

New 4x4, out fitters tents, boats, campers, trailers, re-loading, fly tying, lead bullet making, wood stock lathe, firearms course, and everything related too the out-doors. Ha... I had so much on the go that I never went Harvesting for 8 years after that because my plate was running over with too much stuff.

I was a fool as I allowed my self too get sucked in beyond my means.

It all changed at the age of 37. A "Less is More" idea came into play.
I kept the basics, thinned out the masses, and change the program that allows me too spend more time in the mountains, foot hills, and Prairie grass lands.

I have a bit of everything, some of 2,,, and nothing that didn't not get used from the too much program.

I joined this forum last year as my firearms cabinet was getting thinned out,,, way too much in that department and boxes of optics that are soon too go as well.

Archery was the better thing that came into my life,,, it allows me too find that niche in "Me" that was missing.
It still dictates the ever changing plan,,, but does limit where my funds go.

Yes I bought a new mid priced scope a few weeks ago, now I sell 2 scopes too pay for it. "new optics has O mill dots that my not too old scopes don't have.

Some areas will see tech improvements in my lifetime, some areas will remain the same,,, other parts will not be added onto.

I can't go back too the old rusty bent rifle wearing my running shoes, or garbage bag rain coat.

Improvements are part of my life today, that new truck is now a old truck,,, a backup truck is on stand-by.
The old OHV is on stand-by too" if" a game harvest takes place.

Today looking back at the over masses idea,,, I kinda wish it was on a smaller scale, but it did show me how to have stuff that fits in, in other areas in life.

Kinda like a multi tool that can do this or that,,, some stuff that is.

Many folks are wize shoppers, and this is gooder as it saves them funds and it allows them too expand on their happenings.

Each person knows what they need, can afford, or wants.
I'm guilty as charged for not planning ahead back then,,, but was lucky too get my second wind at tapping it kool on the spending department.

I'm lucky the hand pistol thing did not last long as I got in and out at brake even. Yes I took a licking on some categories that did not pan-out,,, done ok with the rifle thin out this year.

Next on my plate is new camo cover-alls since my old stuff is pretty ripped up from wear and tear. LOL

Don