View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 11:15 PM

Not a fun experience in water world in winter. When I was about 14 I went through the ice on a creek. I had a pack on and heavy winter clothes. When I fell through I did not touch bottom and remember opening my eyes to see the brown water. I somehow had enough bearings to slide the pack off and started to look and feel for where I fell through. I finally found the broken ice and got my head above water to gasp for air. A few more seconds underwater and I would have been sucking water. I managed to get out and then had a mile and a half to walk home. My clothes froze but I somehow managed to make it home. The creek was only 7 or 8 feet wide at that point and a person would have never guessed it was so deep.

Beware the beaver dam and around beaver houses. Beavers need at least 6 feet of water so they don't get frozen in and for their feed piles during winter. I have since learned how to read the ice around beaver houses and mark beaver runs before ice on. I have a rule now that if I'm going early ice fishing on thinner ice I will only fish in water 4 to 5 feet deep.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets