View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j335 View Post
I think a small truck with a canopy is much more flexible than a SUV. Unless you're pulling out the rear seats and making yourself a bed in the cab.

Quick kijiji search brings up a $4k Nissan Frontier in good condition in Calgary just posted, looks like a good unit...

You can get some decent newer SUV's on the higher end of your budget, like a RAV4 it looks like. Not sure how good they are offroading? The clearance ain't good.
I agree, with this. Pickup for me every single time, better for camping out of, better for hauling gear and meat.

As much as I want to love 1/4 ton rigs, the fuel mileage is generally only marginally better than that of a 1/2 ton, while a great deal of towing and hauling capability is sacrificed.

So for me it would be a 88-06 Chev half ton, extended cab and a 6.5 or 8' box, preferably the 350 or 5.3 engine. If you need to get anywhere offroad that a 1/2 ton wont take you throw a quad in the back or lace up your hiking boots.