View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 05:18 PM

Looks like I am doing everything wrong. My brass gets well used but I am not a “volume” shooter in the sense of shooting large lots of brass in a single outing. Typically, I load a dozen pcs of brass ... shoot a fouler or two ...then two five shot groups....and repeat 4 - 5 days each week. Once home, I wipe the carbon blowback on the necks, using a bit of RCBS case lube 2 on a piece of Kleenex > a couple of turns gets most of it, but over a couple of weeks it builds up (brass has been reloaded about ten times) > > so I decide to make the necks shiny again with a wipe of brasso. Wipe the brasso off and it is good to go again. The end result of this “cycle” is that most of my brass goes through 25 - 30+ reloads. Sometimes I anneal but not as often as I did a few years ago. I also spin brass on occasion using steel wool (neck only). I have never tumbled brass!
This is what works for me. I have no reason to suspect that cleaning with brasso has had any noticeable detrimental affect on the service life of the brass, or it’s performance. Perhaps that is because the brasso is only in contact with the brass for about 5 minutes before being wiped of? My opinion...clean brass shoots well...clean, shiny brass does not shoot any better.

Last edited by 260 Rem; 09-03-2019 at 05:25 PM.