View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 09:27 PM

I'll try to zero as late in the year as possible, before the season opens, especially to confirm muzzle velocity. As noted, cold will have an effect on the rifle's performance, from powder burn rates to the effect of gloves and coats on POA.

I assume a muzzle velocity from chrony measurements on my range cards, and if I don't have to make any crude adjustments for powder temp I'm happy. I'll take a density altitude reading every morning before legal hours and select the correct card for it. Then I'll know what to dial or how many mils to push for any combination of range, wind, or elevation.

In mixed cover, I'll zero for 100 meters because that will require less adjustment. In open farmland, maybe 200, and prep cards for that zero.

I'll practise prone at the range and use a military sling, but seldom go prone in the snow and tall grass unless I'm lucky enough to be at the crest of a hill on some cutline. I'll sometimes take the camera tripod for shooting support if I'm doing more sitting than walking that day.