View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 PM

Ok, forget my suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
10 quick Idea's of the top of my head

They may need tweeking, and are not set in stone in my mind!!

1. Verify all WIN #’s are valid people

• Proof of passed hunters training certificate
• Proof of Residency
• Picture I.D verification to obtain Win card ( and even have picture on Win cards)

2. New Albertans have to have residency for 1 year before obtaining a Win Card ( Canadian armed forces are waived one year wait)

You mean 1 year wait for Resident status.
And include a provision requiring the person to have spent 6months of the year in Alberta.

3. Price increase for draw application

4. Deadline date to purchase draws .

• Failure to do so, will forfeit that said draw, and it’s priority points.
• Draws not purchased at deadline, go to the next available hunter.
• Doctors note or justified unforeseeable circumstances explaination can save forfeiture of priority points. ( if accepted before the deadline)

Payments gets complicated and expensve to run. CC# with application and charged upon successful draw. There can be a return option available for those that know they will not use the tag.

5. Draws that have a priority of more than 7 years , work off the priority system, with an allotment for 1 lottery tag, of which the hunter has less than 7 years priority.

Change 1 licence to 10% of licences on lottery for All draws.

While this is better than present, I think we will still need some other system in order to deal with the problem of high demand.

6. Non resident hunters have their own dedicated draws, with a smaller % dedicated to them, according to harvest reports .

I disagree with this completely.
A separate NR draw pool makes these licences Unavailable to residents. Other jurisdictions have gone through this and know better.
By keeping the NR (with a %cap) in the same pool as residents, residents have the potential to draw 100% of the licences while still giving NR the opportunity to draw up to the set cap.

7. Harvest reports are mandatory at the end of every season, for all hunters. Draws can not be purchased until survey is completed.

Sure, the info can only help inform future decisions.

8. Non residents can not be hunter hosted for , Mule deer, Sheep and Antelope, and Moose.

Unless Outfitters have the same restrictions, then No.

You have fallen right into what APOS has desired for many years, to have exclusive rights if a NR hunter wants to hunt in alberta

9. Create a lottery draw( like 438, a, b,c) in all sheep zones for November. ( limit of one lottery per zone, and perhaps it can me ran much like the goat draw, on zones that have less Bighorn numbers)

Sounds great, but the harvest may be too high for sustaining a general season. Let's get more Nov. sheep draws in some of the wmu's that have a high number of park rams.

10. Limit the number of successful draws, someone can obtain in a year. ( example 3 successful draws per season)

Excluding antlerless draws?

11. Create a Big Game Stamp which can only be purchased with proof of being eligible to hunt (exception for 11-12 year old applicants)

A person must purchase a valid Wildlife certificate and Big Game stamp BEFORE being eligable to apply in the draw system.

Great Idea!

I also have a Trophy hunting draw system I’ve thought of. That can co-exist with the system we basically have. I can pm anyone interested, it still needs input and tweeking.

Yes, keep it to pm. You don't have enough beer to help me understand that one.