View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttle_monkey1 View Post
I can't show you documentation saying it's legal, thankfully that's not how the law works in Canada. The laws are written to govern, restrict or prohibit certain activities or objects. Take those e-cig things for example. When they first came out people were using them in bars because there were no laws against this. Legislation was soon passed to restrict their use so now you have to use them in the same manner as cigarettes.

I can't provide any legislation allowing this topic we've been going back and forth about. I also can't find any legislation prohibiting it either.

Some people believe that your house/dwelling includes your entire property but the definition of house/dwelling is clearly laid out in Section 2 of the criminal code. It does not include your entire property. There is also confusion about the language "AT the house/dwelling" some people are construing that to mean at the address, not IN the house/dwelling. In French it is DANS which is "IN" the house/dwelling. Food for thought. Anyways at the end of the day we are all subject to these poorly worded & illogical laws and we should be doing as much as we can to enact change and have these bad laws replaced with common sense legislation.
Actually that is exactly how the regulations work. The regulations tell you what is legal as opposed to what is illegal. I will post this again.

Taken from the firearms Act

Transporting and using prohibited firearms or restricted firearms

19 (1) An individual who holds a licence authorizing the individual to possess prohibited firearms or restricted firearms may be authorized to transport a particular prohibited firearm or restricted firearm between two or more specified places for any good and sufficient reason, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing,

(a) for use in target practice, or a target shooting competition, under specified conditions or under the auspices of a shooting club or shooting range that is approved under section 29;

(a.1) to provide instructions in the use of firearms as part of a restricted firearms safety course that is approved by the federal Minister; or

(b) if the individual

(i) changes residence,

(ii) wishes to transport the firearm to a peace officer, firearms officer or chief firearms officer for registration or disposal in accordance with this Act or Part III of the Criminal Code,

(iii) wishes to transport the firearm for repair, storage, sale, exportation or appraisal, or

(iv) wishes to transport the firearm to a gun show.

Within section 19 it listed 2 authorized uses for restricted/prohibited

1. Shooting at an approved CFO range

2. For teaching purposes

Within section 19 it also list reasons that are pre-approved for transport.. ie going to a range, gun show, point of sale etc. If you require transport outside these pre-approved reason then a short term ATT must be obtained from the CFO.

Sec 86(2) of the Criminal Code is the charge section for breaches of Regulations made under the Firearms Act. So yes, Regulations are enforceable and must be adhered to like any other legislated law.

Regulations do not list what is illegal like Criminal Code laws. Look at the storage and transport regulations. No where does it state that it is illegal to store your firearm loaded. Alternatively it tells you that it must be unloaded. So the regulations will not state that shooting a restricted firearm on your property is illegal, alternatively it will only tell you where it is legal to discharge and in this case it is a CFO approved range. So if it is not listed then it is not legal, that is how regulations work.