Thread: Hornady GMX
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 03:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeper View Post
I only pass along what I am told. This particular young man is a fine game shot, an accomplished hunter, and has certainly accounted for a good number of animals of all sorts. However, his shot placement on bears has always been behind the shoulder and I suspect the bullet (a 165) just wasn't encountering enough resistance to open reliably. He should have tried to hit some bone. Ultimately, I think it comes down to the same sort of thing as the X bullets; they work better than anything else except when they don't. I still favour bullets with lead in them because they have always worked just fine for me. Of course, I'm sort of mature and may be slow to recognize how good the latest new things are. I still use fixed power scopes, for cryin' out loud! Leeper
They don't need to hit bone to open Bill, behind the shoulder works just fine.......They haven't made X bullets for years. They were plagued with some expansion problems for sure but they are many generations removed from the mono metals of today. It's sad that that reputation follows them and people keep propogating it. I suspect the young man is not as fine of a shot as you believe...at least not when it comes to grizzly bears.