View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 09:35 PM

Default New to smoking. Intro and a couple of wood questions

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to smoking. Got an offset smoker from my neighbour and did a few modifications to it. So far I've smoked a bear ham, ribs, back bacon and spatchcock chickens. Here's a few pics.

The Smoker

Bear Ham

I bought some curing salt from CTR and mixed up a 1 gallon brine that I both injected, and soaked the ham in for 8 days. The brine had garlic, pickling spices, brown sugar and few other ingredients. Unfortunately the cure did not make it all the way to the centre of a few of the muscles in the ham. I also discovered my fridge temperature was 48 F during at least part of the brine and I ended up making the decision to toss the ham instead of risking it. I did try a few of the exterior parts and it was very tasty. Just like ham with no wild taste. I will be trying again as I have learned a lot already that will help with the next attempt.

Back Bacon. Brined for 14 days.

Side Ribs using the 3-2-1 method. I did the 3-2 the day before and reheated on the bbq the next day for a block party. They were VERY well received. I used some spiced rum with water and maple syrup for my juice.

Chickens

I've been very happy with the results so far using apple and cherry chips, and pecan chunks from Bass Pro. Where is the best place to get wood in the city? I have heard that diamond willow is a good smoking wood and plan to look for some NW of Cremona on some land I have hunting access on. Is diamond willow just a willow that has been attacked by a fungus? I have also got some trimmings from a Mayday tree. Has anyone smoked with it? I am assuming it can be classified as a fruit wood and should be pretty good. Are there any other native woods in Alberta you guys are having success with?

Thanks.