View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
So what I am getting is the best would be to loop and crimp or tie a fishermans knot, palomar, or similar on them? Where do you get your crimps? I'd like to order a batch even removed from this scenario and use on trailers for other rigs.
I haven’t noticed a difference in hookup percentage on loop or tight knots. I usually crimp 200lb plus leaders and tie the 30 and 50lb lines. I don’t currently use anything in between 50 and 200lb.

Those little 7/0 eagle claws on the top are all I use for marlin, tuna, sailfish etc. and usually for billfish I crimp the 200lb leader.
For tuna and bottom fish I was tying a uni but once all of my premade rigs are used up I’ll be using a tuna knot.
I’ve got some 5/0 and 7/0 mustads for reef species and usually it’s just a dirty paternotster rig with the double passed through the eye and the hook dropped through the loop like on that picture of the tusky. Quick and easy to tie and for how fast they get cut off on the reef it’s probably how I’ll keep doing it.

The big circle hooks are just for sharks and that one on 300lb mono is a hangover from a while back. I crimp mine on 600lb cable now although I very rarely use them. I don’t like shark fishing but if the tax man is taking my fish on the way to the boat and I’m upset about it I’ll drop a hook down for them.

I haven’t found any loop knot that gives me the strength I need so I can’t say anything except I won’t use them on anything. Everyone I’ve tested breaks lower then most other knots I’ve tested and they’re far from the strongest knot I know how to tie.

I don’t like paying the markup to buy my crimps locally so I usually get them off Amazon. I prefer the awg crimps and order them by the thousand.

I didn’t use circle hooks when I lived in Alberta so I don’t have any first hand experience catching trout and pike on them. However, I’ve caught several hundred fish with them here and they’re all I use when I’m not trolling lures. Even when I’m trolling live or dead bait it’ll have a circle hook in it and I much prefer them to J hooks.

Just let them eat it. If I miss a fish with a circle hook it’s because I didn’t give them enough time to get the bait down. Once it’s down they’re almost always hooked in the corner of the mouth.