View Single Post
Old 09-16-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
This 700 BDL walnut stock seems to have these bumps in the channel toward the front of the stock closest to muzzle. Based on the "rub marks" it appears to be touching the barrel in that location. These do, however, look quite uniformed touching an equal amount of barrel on each side (looks to me anyways).

I don't know enough about barrel harmonics, but read enough to understand the free floating idea ..... but these older 700's have spaghetti thin barrels and maybe they need some support up there??? I'm just going to have to shoot it and see what it does.

Seems to be barrels have gotten a little heavier/stiffer over the years (generally).
I have never seen a gun that was hurt by bedding, especially wood stocks. Sealing the stock is always an advantage. I have however seen a number of thin barreled guns that shot far better when they were glass bedded from the mag well clear to the end of the barrel channel. Ultra Light Arms makes all of their guns that way. It gets rid of POI changes from Bi pods, shooting sticks or resting the gun too far out on the forearm. It also stabilises the harmonics of the barrel a great deal. The guns shoot more often to the same POI with dead cold first shot and don't tend to walk near as much as the barrel heats up through five or six shots.

Most varmint or heavy barrels shoot better free floated, but with hunting weight and light barrels, try the full length bedding trick with about 6 pounds of pressure. (Ties a six pound weight to the front swivel while the barrel is set into the Devcon and allowed to dry.). You will likely be pleasantly surprised at how much more consistent the gun shoots under all conditions.